Friday, March 06, 2009

Pineapple Key Lime Tequila Sorbet

My Pineapple, Key Lime, Tequila Sorbet

In 1994 or '95 I bought an ice cream maker. One of the newer types with a bowl that goes in the freezer. It makes only 1 quart and is ideal for me, a single human being.

When I returned to living in Los Angeles, while shopping one day, I found pineapple to be 2 pounds for $1. So with my $1.50 or so pineapple, I went home and invented: Pineapple Key Lime Tequila sorbet. I give you my recipe for posterity sake, and in fond remembrance of Julia Child, a woman I knew, only slightly.

Ingredients:

2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice (chilled in the refrigerator, until cold)
Simple syrup of 2 cups of sugar and 1 cup of water.
2 to 4 tablespoons of strained Key lime juice
1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of tequila
1 pinch of salt

The first time I made the recipe, I got my Sunbeam Oscar juicer attachment out and made fresh juice. (I would make the Mexican drink: tepache, with the skins --- that's another recipe).

Now I'm too lazy to cut and and core the pineapple etc.

Freeze the bowl, 24 hours ahead of time.

Simple Syrup -- made a day ahead or more and refrigerated

In a sauce pan, add the cup of water and slowly pour the sugar into the water. Stir a moment to mix thoroughly. Put the pan on the heat (medium-low) and bring to a simmer. When the mixture turns clear, remove from the heat, add the pinch of salt and cool, then refrigerate when it reaches room temperature.

Buy a large can of unsweetened pineapple juice. (48 fl. ozs.), and measure out 16 fl. ozs. Drink the rest or make more sorbet, your choice.
Zest some of the limes if you like it extra strong. Juice the Key limes, strain.

Put the bowl into the maker. In a bowl or pan large enough to accommodate all the liquids, add the pineapple juice and simple syrup. Add the juice and zest. Stir. Quickly assemble the ice cream maker. Turn the machine on. Add the liquids, except for the tequila. Set a timer for 20 minutes. When it beeps, rings, what-have-you, return to the kitchen and add the tequila. Run the machine 5 minutes longer. Transfer the sorbet to a quart jar, freeze. Ready 8 to 24 hours later.

Photo to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment