Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Orange Marie - The Queen Consort's Bohemian Inspired Punch

Without getting into too much detail about this very unusual, refreshing and delicious drink, let me say that it is a food flavor-and-savor childhood memory of mine. Here's the hard part, somebody served me this drink before I was 10 years old. I remember the flavor well. I cannot recall where I had this. Someone knew what kids' liked a lot. And I remember being in their house only once or twice tasting this delicious concoction.

The rumor is that this refreshment was inspired by Mary of Hungary. Long story short, some New World explorer is thought to have given her some oranges and 250 years later, the story serves as the basis for the creation of this recipe.

I suffix to the recipe name: Punch. Originally from the Hindi language, ponch, meaning five, every Punch should contain 5 ingredients.

So without more prologue:


Orange Marie


12 oz. can frozen Orange Juice
36 fl. ozs. water
36 fl. ozs. ginger ale (I prefer Vernor's)
4 fl. ozs. vodka (optional)

In a sun tea jar or other one gallon container, put the orange juice and water. When the OJ has melted into the water, add the Horlick's Malt Powder. Stir with a whisk to incorporate the malt powder. When no lumps appear, add the ginger ale. Place in the refrigerator for three days. This drink must age. It will not develop the proper taste until three days have gone by. If you are going to serve it with vodka, add the vodka, after three days. Note the vodka is a flavoring ingredient at this quantity. An 8 fl. oz. glass of this would contain slightly less than a 1/3 fl. oz. of vodka.

Serves: 10 cups or 11 cups with the vodka.

I have tasted this drink before the three days of aging. Believe me when I tell you to wait.

Cook's Note: Allow the can of frozen OJ to defrost in the refrigerator overnight before manufacturing this recipe. For a drier taste, use any other maker of ginger ale. I was not served this Punch with vodka in it.