Saturday, July 13, 2013

Roquefort Dressing with Chervil and Tarragon


3 ozs. Blue Cheese
2 tbs. cream, heavy
1⁄4 tsp. salt
1⁄4 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. chervil, fresh, minced
1⁄4 tsp. tarragon leaves, fresh, minced
2 tbs. vinegar

The light 'triangles' is the sun through the glass jar.
Divide the cheese as follows:
1 oz. for the salad bits
2 ozs. for the dressing
Mince the chervil and tarragon.
To the 2 ozs. of cheese, add 2 tbs. of heavy cream or 1/2 and 1/2 or  milk.
Mix with a fork to make a paste.

By divide, I mean eyeball it. Please don't get out a scale and start weighing.

Blend in the salt and pepper.

Blend in the chervil and tarragon.

Stream the vinegar in slowly, stirring like a madman.

If it's not incorporated like this, the dairy will have an off taste.

Pour the mixture over the salad with the bits of remaining cheese and toss to dress. Using milk makes a thinner dressing.

Cook's Notes. On my first try I decided to use a stick blender to emulsify the cheese. It worked pretty well. The air mixed into the dressing made it light, without being fluffy, The dressing  was barely enough for a salad for 2 people. I cannot explain this you should just try and see.

If you cannot find fresh tarragon, I guess you could use tarragon wine vinegar. But without the fresh chervil, there is no point to this recipe. It's the sin qua non.

In the future I would make a double quantity. I would use half a bunch of chervil. I minced mine if an electric spice grinder. I had the chervil and tarragon mixed together. 

If you find yourself with leftover tarragon, put it in some wine vinegar and let it steep 6 weeks before use.