Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Cidre Bouché "Dulcior" Brut

From 1972 to 1979 I lived in Santa Monica California and often shopped at Trader Joe's market. That was in the days when the original owner, Joe Coulombe ran the place and occasionally had actual "specials", and not products bought for the purpose of a sale. The Dulcior Cider is just such a special.

I had been watching Julia Child make crêpes and wrote the recipe down, adding her variation that instead of water or milk, the chef could use beer. So, as this Dulcior cider was "brut" and as it had the same amount of alcohol as beer (around 4%), I decided to try some and bought a few bottles, paying about $1.39 per bottle. That's a bargain for wine or hard cider or whatever.



I tried the Dulcior and sometime later lost interest in making Sunday Morning Crêpes and put the last bottle in the cabinet and forgot about it. I moved from that place once, twice, three times, four times, five times and after more than 30 years, while going through some foodstuffs, I came across this bottle. I tried to find the maker in Auffay France, but they aren't on the internet and the same for the importer. Both are either non-existent or have changed names.


I do remember liking the crêpes made with this dry cider. So here is my recipe, as it developed after many batches.


Crêpes
1 cup of all purpose flour
2 whole eggs
2/3 cup of milk
2/3 cup of dry cider, or beer
1/2 tbs. vegetable oil (I prefer peanut oil)
1 pinch of salt

Put all the liquid ingredients in a blender. Blend to mix for 30 seconds. Add flour, blend 30 seconds, remove cover and put the flour down with a spatula. Blend 60 seconds. Refrigerate 60 minutes. Pre-heat the oven 20 Warm. Or Keep Warm. Heat the crêpe skillet, wipe with oil soaked paper towel. One wipe per crêpe. Remove the crêpes to the warmed oven.